Friday, September 30, 2011

Not yet...

The weather has turned cool, and I must admit I wasn't ready for that - just yet. I'm under no illusions about it being warm in Canada, but we skipped fall. The leaves have yet to change, and we moved directly to cold and windy. They're predicting a low in the 30s this weekend...

I've switched my wardrobe. Although I pulled out the boots and Cuddl-Duds (no 'e'), I can't seem to put my sandals away - just yet. The flannel sheets are on the bed. My lap blanket, lovingly and hand-made by sister, Ronna, is out and being used. Neighbors are leaving the island to head south for the winter. Yesterday, I made Harvest Muffins, with grated apples and carrots, for the ferry crew. Summer is gone.

What I love about fall is that it is the time that God designs for things to begin to rest. Those of us with Operation Christmas Child are geared up for Collection Week and have no intention of resting - just yet. This is what we work for all year. This is our harvest - His harvest - of shoebox gifts that will travel around the world so that children who have no hope know that someone, some stranger, somewhere, wants them to know they are loved. "The power of a simple gift" isn't just a saying to us; it's real. We feel the urgency to reach just one more child. We're not ready to be finished - just yet.

I'll leave you with 2 things -  a picture and Garth Brooks words...


One hand
Reaches out
And pulls a lost soul from harm
While a thousand more go unspoken for
They say what good have you done
By saving just this one
It's like whispering a prayer
In the fury of a storm

And I hear them saying you'll never change things
And no matter what you do it's still the same thing
But it's not the world that I am changing
I do this so this world will know
That it will not change me 


No comments:

Post a Comment